A K-8th grade tuition free Charter School, that implements a rigorous, content rich curriculum. Our Sport emphasis promotes fitness and healthy lifestyle. Here you can access all the latest updates and information regarding enrollment, academics and what’s happening at FitKids’ Champion Schools!
The POWER of SPORTS in SCHOOLS
Kids who participate in sports and fitness programs are healthier and more academically successful. Participating in sports builds self-esteem and increases grade and test performance.
There is a growing body of research that proves that students need adequate amounts of physical activity throughout the school day. This daily activity not only prevents obesity but supports better academic performance. The CDC (Center for Disease Control) states that physical activity has a positive impact on cognitive skills and academic behavior.
Exercise directly impacts the behavior and development of the brain. “The effects of physical activity on cognition are particularly important in the highly plastic developing brains of youth,” according to Charles E. Basch, Teachers College at Columbia University. He states that, “exercise effects executive functioning by increasing oxygen flow to the brain and brain neurotransmitters including brain-derived neurotrophins. This family of proteins assures the survival, development and function of neurons in areas responsible for learning, memory, and higher thinking, important components of improved academic performance.”
Physical activity fosters an environment of social-connectedness. When students’ teammates are also their classmates, the opportunity to learn how to play as a team, transfers to learning collaboratively in the classroom. Students who play sport together share a common set of rules. Sports set children up for a healthy adulthood, perpetuating a cycle of well-being for generations to come.
The evidence is clear. Physical activity should have a place in the curriculum of every school that’s serious about teaching its kids.
Comprehensive Program of Instruction
FitKids’ Champion Schools is powerful learning community for ALL students, regardless of their educational backgrounds. Our learning environment includes many opportunities to work collaboratively. We use common core, project based learning and utilize the community as a laboratory for students to have hands-on experiences. These types of learning activities activate the imagination, stimulate critical thinking and develop problem-solving skills. We believe in every student’s natural desire to learn and want to bring ALL of our students into the educational mainstream by the end of elementary school.
We believe that the discipline gained in sports activities supports academic performance and is transformative in young people. It is the vision of FitKids’ Champion Schools to establish the premier learning environment that will develop students’ mental, bodily, and emotional intelligences. Our schools are designed to utilize the discipline gained in sports activities and the motivation gained through parental involvement and psychological support to augment the pursuit of academic excellence.
FitKids’ Champion Schools is dedicated to fostering academic excellence through the integration of accelerated content rich curriculum, using powerful and diverse instructional techniques encouraging critical thinking and the development of problem-solving skills. We will also use the community as a laboratory to construct knowledge though exploration and discovery.
- Many of the qualities needed for success academically are supported by a set of skills and behaviors gained in sports training and competition. Fundamental physical skills development training at an early age is a huge benefit to future athletic performance.
- FitKids’ Champion Schools uses specific methods designed by occupational therapists and professional athletic trainers to build the motor skills necessary to become an academic and athletic performer.
- Commitment to practicing and competing go hand in hand, to guarantee results. FitKids’ Champion Schools make athletic training an integral part of a longer school day.
- FitKids’ Champion Schools levels the playing field giving ALL students an academic and athletic advantage regardless of their background.
- Winning Habits:
- FitKids’ Champion Schools builds a strong culture that supports students in making significant academic gains and excelling in athletics: an unbeatable formula for success.